Friday, May 30, 2008

Books and bounds

I'm still trudging along through "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer. It's a great book with great descriptions and research just like the other books he's written. For some reason I'm taking this one pretty slow. The last two - "Into the Wild" and "Into Thin Air" went fast. My eyes dissolved the words, and I scraped them up and ate them with a spoon.

Right now, I'm sitting in the Harne Family Minivan '08. My folks are shopping in Wal-Mart, and I'm sticking to the vickle to read while they take care of unknown Wal-Mart business. I'm getting sleepy. I sleep.

It's a good book - but I want to zip ahead to "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" which I borrowed last night. It looks like something I could dive right into and splash around for awhile. Other books might look like something I could ladle out in carefully measured scoops - or even descend upon ferociously. Some books could be wandered through ponderously, or rejected violently with big sweeping arm motions. There's a lot of latitude when describing how you read a book, so you might as well push the bounds of description.

1 comment:

megablogging said...

Man. "The Way of the Peaceful Warrior" has some useful concepts in it, but they're presented in the most annoying way possible.