Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Lazy Day in Annapolis, Culminating in Self Doubt.

I have a Kindle with me and I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath. Kindles are great, but they won't outmode shared paperbacks just yet. This book is great so far. I've read most Steinbeck, but haven't gotten to this obvious title yet. I was saving it till... now I guess.

Today was not full of action. It was more of a recovery day, and I literally took the time to watch Platoon on VHS.

I'm a little nervous about the long ride which lies ahead of me. I'm just getting started, and I'm prone to anxiety. Sometimes I can blame it on palpitations brought on by coffee, and I think coffee was half responsible this time.

I get nervous about what lies ahead on the trip. I'll have burnt skin and aching muscles. I've built up the romance in my head until my expectations are at a rolling boil. If my experience falls short of magical, then what? I don't want life to be as straightforward and disappointing as it looks sometimes. I don't want to come to the conclusion that I should get a steady job, chase money, and buy a house. I don't want to find out that I can't cook up my own magic.

I'm getting back on the road tomorrow. Maybe I should be staying longer, but I have all these maps and all these bags to strap onto my bicycle. It's time to keep exploring. Annapolis made for a great weekend.

No comments: