Monday, July 4, 2011

Hotels in Denver / Back to Earth

I sat on a bench outside of a nice hotel downtown. Tara walked up with a suitcase and hair longer than I remembered it. I was still blurry from the previous night, and my brain hovered somewhere to the left and above actual reality. This would take a moment to settle. Two months earlier, we broke up. A few weeks ago, we talked. I bought airfare for her to meet me in Denver. A few moments ago we looked at each other for the first time in months.

She looked great. Soft features and a careful smile.

She booked a nice fancy room in the downtown hotel district. After awhile, and especially after a day, we became normal again. We wandered from the room to restaurants and back. There was plenty of television. I had a human to share my space, and bicycles faded from being my only priority. I spent a lot of money, and snuggled into the comfortable respite of a parallel existence.

We walked slowly in a small radius. We watched fireworks on the 4th. I got progressively more drunk every day until it came to a rolling boil. Bicycles were a memory. A heap of heavily laden bicycle sat in the corner of a hotel room as NCIS played on the television. Back to reality. Back to being human; away from being a squirrel. I knew it would be difficult to start the ride again.

No comments: