Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 1? Philly

I'm writing this with a hangover.

I left around 10:30am yesterday, and got to Philly (Nat's house) at 2:30. The bicycle is great, the amount of gear is incredibly easy to manage, and I started having some pain in my right knee. I know: whine, whine, whine. It's not like that. Honestly, I'd prefer not to mention it, but I also want that to be the against the rules here. For example, if I get egg on my face, I want to freely admit that and then move on. The pain is like this: who fucking cares. But it's there, so boom. The deal is I did my first century (100miles) ride a few years ago without any kind of proper preparation or training or whatever. Now my knee hurts sometimes when I ride my bicycle. Moving on.

It was a pretty good ride. Nice roads, not-bad traffic. I'm pretty comfortable in traffic, and I know where to be on the road and not get pushed around or care. But that said, it still wasn't bad and I picked a good route. From here, I'll be following the East Coast Greenway's current cue sheets - and I really want to see what that's all about.

I knew I was going to end up drinking last night, and I still don't care except that I feel like it's an admission rather than a fact. I had three enormous expensive margaritas with Nielle, and that fuckin rocked.

I've got something like $1,400 in my bank account, and I estimate that I can spend something like $17 per day on food and still be fine. That's doing a lot of fudgy estimation on distances and days. I tried to work a bus ticket in there.

As of right now, I have a hangover and I think I'm going to sit around in Philadelphia reading back issues of Harper's magazine for a long time. At 7:21pm last night I was reading an article about a modern day raft journey down the Mississippi that was "punk as fuck" in design and motive. I'm going to go finish that now, and drink about a gallon of water.

I will resume adventuring as soon as I am ready. Promise.

2 comments:

rallypants said...

Keep it going, man. The road is the goal not the destination, if you get my drift.

ghettorigged said...

i was SOOOOOO hungover that next day too. i drank at least a gallon of water and several red bulls to make it through the work day... not to mention a 45 minute nap in the work truck during my lunch hour.