Saturday, August 13, 2011

Family Reunion

Today I was at a family reunion in Vienna Virginia. I know a few more people this round, having stopped at this same place toward the very beginning of my bicycle trip.

At 7:21pm, I was talking to Aunt Pam about my end-of-trip budgeting system, and my father made some snippy comment about beer being in the budget. As if he knows something. Unfortunately, beer has to be an awkward subject because of Facebook re-alerting my family to the existence of this blog. Like every other person who I know, I should have denied all friend requests from parents. I thought it might be better to exist with open honesty. Maybe I confuse the concepts of "saying too much" and "having integrity." Now they are reading these words, and it causes them to worry about me. Maybe they shouldn't read the blog. Maybe I shouldn't be writing it. But I am. There are hidden costs that come along with that. This is not the first time I've had to ignore and endure a snippy comment. And this isn't the first time I've dealt with it passive aggressively instead of throwing all the cards on the table. C'est la vie.

No comments: