Monday, December 12, 2016

Reading books about the cold.

Monday. Back to work? Not quite. It was hard to break the ice and free the runners on the sledge.

Instead, I read about arctic exploration. There are two books titled "Endurance," and I've already read the second one. Now I am working on the earlier book by F.A. Worsley, who was Shackleton's second in command. The other Endurance book is written by Alfred Lansing. I can confidently call that one a favorite.

Another favorite book takes place in the northern hemisphere. "The Last of the Gentlemen Adventurers: Coming of Age in the Arctic" is definitely worth a penny plus shipping. I personally guarantee it. I'll give anybody four dollars if they read it and think that I'm wrong.

Back to the south pole. I read "Alone in Antarctica" written by the first woman to cross the continent unassisted and pulling a sled. I wish I had a dollar for every time the author cries.

"On the Ice: An Intimate Portrait of Life at McMurdo Station, Antarctica" was enjoyable. This book explains daily life at McMurdo, describing it from a female perspective, from a writer who attempts to let you into her head. I think this book is worth a gander, if you like ice with your honest and open accounts.

1 comment:

miked said...

I also "read" - listened to "Endurance" while hiking the PCT. Made my days on the trail seem pretty tame indeed. On the subject of cold...National Geographic channel has a good series on now called CONTINENT 7: ANTARCTICA