Thursday, March 3, 2011

Buying wine for another human

721pm? Cooking noodles, and having a 1936 penny close at hand.

I stopped by the liquor store a couple hours ago. There was a guy outside with some change in his hand, and he was trying to increase the amount.

"Hey brother, can you spare some change, I'm tryna get a little bottle." He said, holding change and shifting his weight from one foot to the other.
"What are you looking for, whiskey?" I asked.
"Wine" was his response. He looked almost visibly more calm just saying the word.
"I'll see if I can get some change in there" I promised as I headed in.

I got some $5.99 red-something, and handed him the bag. If I'm going to drink subtle poison, I might as well provide or share or whatever. His face lit up. I shook his hand. I walked towards my bicycle and placed my personal purchase and backpack inside my orange Wawa milk crate.

He called out one more thank you, to which I responded confidently that I was just looking out for a man. I threw my leg over my vehicle wondering if he had a good way to deal with the cork; assuming he did.

No comments: