Saturday, February 19, 2011

Working on a 1970 Phillips

I have a 1970 Phillips 3 speed. I stayed after work to mess with the cranks and the bottom bracket. I re-tapped the threads to English threading. I used a grinding wheel to take off the shoulder of a Shimano UN-54 bottom bracket. I installed the bottom bracket, and put on a pair of old Dura Ace cranks.

Apparently I didn't tighten the bottom bracket enough. It loosened up on my ride home, and now I'm left to hope that I didn't screw up the threads by riding it that way. All I can do is take of the cranks, tighten the BB and hope for the best.

At 7:21pm I was listening to Halfway To Holland and making strange anachronistic changes to a bicycle. One of my customers, Eric, stopped by with his girlfriend, and we chatted for a bit. I was in a hurry to get home, feeling rushed and anxious.

No comments: