Friday, February 18, 2011

Putting grease in a bottom bracket.

I work at a bicycle shop in Philadelphia. Shelly opened a bicycle shop, and I'm working at it. This is a good job. Probably the best job I've had up to this point.

Ahhh, Philadelphia. Your winters and strong headwinds continue to erode my soul. I should be in Key West. I should be somewhere else feeling distant and alone.

I'm writing on this blog again. Maybe I needed a change of internet scenery. I like the Blogger interface pretty good. It's easier to search through the titles of past posts. I think that's great. I'd like to move over all the Wordpress stuff, but I don't know if that's easy or not.

I was just reading through some of my writings from Ashland Oregon in 2008. I can barely remember what that was like. I was lonely. I was sometimes desperately lonely.

I'm planning a bicycle trip from Philadelphia to Virgina to Oregon. I'm leaving in May. I'm trying to get $3600 in my bank account, and hopefully not blow it all on booze and prepared food before making it back to Philadelphia. Somewhat un-secretly I don't even know if I want to come back to Philadelphia. I like it, but I question whether I might belong somewhere better. I can leave, but that's when the loneliness kicks in. I'm ready to be lonely on the bicycle trip. That's part of riding alone. It leaves more time for contemplation, and more space for easy decision making. It'll be good. Lonely on-the-move is OK. It also allows for random choices and meeting strangers. Hopefully it's a good trip.

I stayed after work to do something about my bottom bracket. It clearly needed an overhaul. At 7:21pm, I was trying different square taper spindles to see if one would work with the old Raleigh-threaded cups. None were to my satisfaction, so I regreased some new bearings and put together the old cottered setup with new pins. Jolly.

No comments: