Saturday, April 16, 2016

Eating and deleting.

We woke up in the parking lot of the better grocery store toward the top of the island. The vanhouse is habitable even in bright sun, provided all possible windows and vents are open. Provided additionally that our Fan-Tastic vent fan is on. They were; it was.

We entered the cold air conditioning of the grocery store and made a loop. Supplies so far include sprouts, hummus, avocados - one green or two Haas, yogurt for now, and a bread device for whenever. This we keep on hand, and supplement daily with whatever else on a whim. We are making an effort to leave our worse habits up north, and why not - sprout sandwiches are easy and make me feel great.

We drove to our shady place near the pier, and I put our stovetop coffeemaker into service. I needed a hot cup of power before proceeding to the next step today. We have Too Much Bullshit along for the ride...

Everything out; everything in. We went through each bin, and considered every item. Some belongings stay, but two boxes do not. Two 12x12x16 boxes were marked for deletion. We are still a bit heavy - my opinion - but to jettison some ballast is a boon. We have more room. Boom.

I took the opportunity to drill some holes in a pole to keep our huge rear door stationary, even in moderate winds. Tested: works.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew that looks like a lot of stuff on the parking lot I live in my van solo, I am constantly pearing down stuff. It's just a process that goes with the lifestyle I guess. Glad to read that all is well in the Keys

Pixy Stoneskipper said...

When I lived alone in the van, I guarantee I did not have 10% of this stuff. But these days are not those. Wife / two dogs. I'm a comfortable and experienced traveler that can work off a bicycle or out of a small backpack. As a pack of four, we will still need to learn as a team which items are obviously and utterly useless. Allowing discovery beats strict dictating. I don't like sexist generalizations, but let me make one anyway: girls usually think they need more stuff than guys, and have to pare down from atop a taller mountain of crap.

Anonymous said...

Do you have an email address that you give out I don't want to take up Prime real estate in the comments section of your blog with nonsense Chit Chat.
Ray naptown usa

Pixy Stoneskipper said...

I'm not secretive about my contact info - anybody can find me at chrisharne@gmail.com - the phone number I post, 747-444-1076, is a Google voice number. Not my "main" number, but calls and txt action go straight to my phone.

Pixy Stoneskipper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.