Saturday, September 20, 2008

Into North Dakota.

I’m stationed outside a Comfort Inn, getting rays of free wifi through the back window of my van.  I’m sitting in my living room in my life-is-easy chair. I have some chili and macaroni in a pot underneath the chair, and an open Mickey’s 40oz to my left which will get no further comment.
I’m emailing Kevin, who I met on the commuter rail to South Station in Boston during my recent bicycle tour.  I’m planning on watching some shows.
I’ve been parking and sleeping in hotel parking lots, then waking up early enough to eat free breakfasts.  I’ve had hot waffles, yogurt, coffee, and muffins two days in a row.  The parking lots are very quiet, because that’s just the nature of hotel parking lots.  Truck stops are noisy.  For some reason, tons of trucks are always idling.  Doesn’t matter if it’s hot or cold… these guys just seem to want to idle.
I feel bad about what I said about Montana needing to get swept up into a little pile.  The further east I got, the more I could appreciate it.  Now I’m in North Dakota.  The badlands are an endless layering of geographic information.  It doesn’t mean much to me, but it’s great to look at.

No comments: